Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sibusiso Leope, otherwise known as DJ Sbu, done with SABC1's Friends Like These, leaving the game show after 12 years for 'bigger challenges'.


Sibusiso Leope, better known to viewers as the energy drink hustler DJ Sbu, is the latest on-air casualty for the SABC, announcing that he's leaving the SABC1 game show Friends Like These after almost 12 years.

DJ Sbu who recently started his own energy drink MoFaya jumped to pay-TV earlier this year presenting the show Kicking Doors on CNBC Africa (DStv 410) with the entrepreneurial and aspirational programme content squarely aimed at the SABC1 market, and he will also soon be appearing on e.tv.

In March DJ Sbu was first suspended, then fired by Metro FM, the SABC radio station where he had a show after promoting his MoFaya at the 14th Metro FM Awards.

In a statement DJ Sbu says he's now also done with the SABC's Friends Like These, produced by Urban Brew Studios, which he presented for about 12 years on SABC1. DJ Sbu says he's "moving to bigger challenges".

"I have learnt a lot working with Urban Brew, the BBC and SABC1 to create such a successful game show. It has made my entertainment career a success and made me a household name in the South African television industry," says DJ Sbu in a statement.

"It's time I make way for others and move on to bigger challenges as a youth leader in business and community projects through my foundation SLEF. I am excited about my future endeavours in the business world. It's about time I pass on the baton to younger and fresh talent."

"It's going to be an exciting 2016," says DJ Sbu. "I'm looking forward to seeing the show grow from strength to strength. I still will be part of the show from the sidelines giving advice and guidance wherever I can, to make sure that the show continues to be the success it has been for the past decade."

DJ SBu says that it's "now time to put my faith on my entrepreneurship journey. Thixo!".

DJ SBu whose personal relationship troubles continues to be fodder for tabloid headlines will appear soon on the new season of e.tv's profile show The Close Up with Nicky Greenwall. The new season of The Close Up in which South African celebrities recount their life stories starts on 19 November on e.tv at 18:00 with an episode featuring DJ Sbu.